Friday, April 30, 2010

the story

before I start I just want to say I saw the queen (the movie) and it was great. I can't imagine how hard it was for Queen Elizabeth the 2 to manage to do so well when the whole nation was not quite liking her. I cannot imagine the pressure she has on her. My heart goes out to her and the whole royal family. Back to the story

So after my mom's surgery and all, she was on medication for cancer. I remember having to change everything about my life. I had to do everything for myself for once. Before cancer mom was up before me and made breakfast and lunch. Now I got up and did everything by myself. I got money for lunch. I remember that when I didn't want to go to school or was really ill I had to wake her up and tell her that I wasn't going to go to school. My high school years (esp the first 2) were the most difficult. I now recognize I had adolescent depression. I used to hate my life and I was rebelling my religion. I hated having to wear "a burkha" (ours was different, it was colorful and full of lace and I can't explain it but it was different from all muslim burkhas). I hated not being able to wear jeans or whatever I wanted. Even when I had to go across the street I had to put it on. It was horrible and added fuel to my depression. Can you imagine a teenage girl being forced by society to wear something she doesn't believe in? Thank God I had liberal parents and I didn't wear it on many occasions like parties, weddings, at certain restaurants and some other places. I was happiest when I wasn't wearing it and doing my own thing. My fondest memories was at our beach house despite all the adults arguing and being fussed about the time, food and other worries. I was carefree and enjoyed the beach.
to be continued...

2 comments: