Saturday, August 8, 2020

A New Day

 I have always been a rather quiet child and naive too. Ever since I can remember I was bullied starting with my own cousins this was when I was younger but then we all became best friends later, to 1st grade and then again in 2nd (in a new school), then in high school (my other cousin who left for Colombo later and her friends). I don't know why I didn't stand up for myself, perhaps I was used to it or maybe I was trying to be nice. All I know is that someone else always stood up for me or helped me, in 1st grade it was my dad when he found out that a classmate was taking my lunch money, thus I changed schools. Then in 2nd a classmate used to punish me for no reason (she was what was called a class monitor), my other classmates stood up for me (they told the teacher that I didn't do anything). This is also where I met my best friend Sheliza, she too stood up for me against other bullies. In high school, again when my dad found out, he got very angry and told me to stand up for myself. I have just been going through life trying to please everyone else and not helping myself in any way, I was so used to being a doormat that I felt lost. It's only after so many episodes that I have learned to undo those ill habits and be a voice for myself. When I look back, I have already forgiven all my bullies, as they have made me learn to be better and learn empathy. I do wish I had someone to talk to back then and I could tell them what was going on, but I cannot change what has happened. Many books have helped me with my journey, my favorite is Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramansha Yogananda. https://amzn.to/3fBqwuh

Another one is Passage through Eternity by Azmina Suleman https://amzn.to/3fDzneX

these books have really changed my view on life, there are countless others too that have contributed to who I am today, if you want a list feel free to comment below and I will be happy to recommend more. I am always looking to expand my knowledge on metaphysical topics, but of course I enjoy fiction and other books too.

No comments:

Post a Comment